SERVES: 4 | PREP TIME:
1. Set aside 12 of the leek rings for garnish, then place the remaining leeks in a large saucepan along with the onion, celery, parsnips, garlic, vegetable broth, thyme, and sage.
2. Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove the thyme sprig from the soup. Using and immersion or traditional blender, puree the soup until smooth, working in batches. Strain and return the soup to a large saucepan. Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the chopped kale to the soup and place over medium-low heat. Cook until the kale is tender.
5. While the kale is cooking, make the leek ring garnish. Place the beaten egg in a small bowl and the flour in another small bowl. Dip the leek rings into the flour, then in the egg, then back into the flour. Shake to remove any excess flour.
6. Fill a small saucepan with 1 inch of oil and place over medium heat. Fry the breaded leek rings until they brown slightly, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt.
7. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the leek rings, and enjoy.