Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (1 large)
- 2 cups chopped parsnip (3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (12-ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (optional)
- 8 teaspoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Place one-fourth of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Stir in whipping cream, paprika, and cumin. Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with sour cream and chives, if desired.