Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup
- 2 C. chopped sweet onion (1 large)
- 2 C. chopped parsnip (3 large)
- 1 1/2 C. chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 C. water
- 2 C. fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (12 oz) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed
- 2 T. whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 C. light sour cream (optional)
- 8 tsp. chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a 5-quart electric slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Place one-fourth of squash mixture in a blender.
- Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender.
- Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture.
- Stir in whipping cream, paprika, and cumin.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with sour cream and chives, if desired.
This Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup is simple, savory and extremely soothing on a cold winter night. Delicious vegetarian soup recipe featuring ForYou® brand parsnips.