Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup
- 2 T. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 C. chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1 tsp. roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pinch ground cayenne
- 1/2 C. heavy cream, warmed and divided
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter followed by the onion, carrot, parsnip, potato, salt, and pepper. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 7 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped thyme and cayenne. Season with salt again, if necessary, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables become very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in small batches in a blender or using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Strain the soup into a clean large saucepan and stir in 1/4 cup of the warmed cream and more broth, if desired. Check the soup again for seasoning, then heat through.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls, spoon 1 tablespoon of warm cream into the middle each bowl and swirl with a spoon.
- Top the soup with a sprig of fresh thyme, then serve.
This Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup Recipe features two of our favorite ForYou® brand vegetables … parsnips and carrots! A delicious vegetarian soup, this recipe will not disappoint.