SERVES: 4 | PREP TIME:
1. Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Add the short ribs to the hot pan and cook until browned on both sides. Set the short ribs aside on a plate.
2. Stir the flour into the pan that the short ribs were cooked in followed by the tomato paste, onion, celery, and roughly chopped carrot. Cook for 3 minutes, then slowly add the wine while stirring constantly.
3. Cook until the wine boils, then add the broth, garlic cloves, bay leaf, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, add the short ribs, cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the short ribs are tender, about 3 hours.
4. Transfer the short ribs to a cutting board. Remove the meat from the bones, trim as desired, and dice into 1-inch chunks. Strain the cooking liquid and return to a clean, large saucepan.
5. Add the sliced carrot parsnip, turnip, and leek to the strained cooking liquid and simmer over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
6. Add the diced short rib meat back to the stew. Season with salt and pepper, as needed. Ladle the stew into bowls, garnish with parsley and dill, then serve.