Vegetable and Sausage Gumbo
- 3/4 C. lard, bacon drippings, or butter
- 2 (13 oz) packages smoked sausage, cut 1/2″ thick on the diagonal
- 1 C. all-purpose
- 4 large celery stalks, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into a 1″ dice
- 1 large leek, cut into a 1″ dice
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T. Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes in their juices
- 1 (6 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 C. beef broth
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen cut okra
- steamed rice for serving (optional)
- 1/2 C. chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the lard, bacon drippings, or butter followed by the sausage.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage from the pot and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Stir the flour into the fat and cook, stirring frequently, until the the flour becomes deep brown in color, but not burnt.
- Add the celery, onion, leek, onion, carrot, parsnip, garlic, Cajun seasoning, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pot along with the flour mixture and cook, stirring frequently for 4 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, tomato sauce, bay leaves, beef broth, okra, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables become tender, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice, if desired, sprinkle with fresh parsley, then serve.
This Vegetable and Sausage Gumbo recipe. This gumbo is full of delicious vegetables including ForYou® brand parsnips, celery, onions and carrots.